Tape Extension Care Guidelines
Your extension lifespan will be completely dependant on how well you care for them. Please find below a list of guidelines that must be followed to ensure healthy, long lasting extensions.
- Do not wet tape prior to application (washing, toning, colouring etc) as it will affect the tape adhesive.
- Also be sure not wash your hair for 48 hours after application
- Ensure you only use Blakk extension shampoo & conditioner.
- Important: Do not ever use a protein based shampoo or conditioner. Protein (which is found a lot in ‘reconstruction’
conditioners) will cause the extensions to tangle. Just one wash can cause damage and will be irreversible. Do not deep condition.
- Also avoid volume, deep cleaning and dandruff product types.
- Products containing Sulphate will cause the hair to dry out. Sulphate is an inexpensive lathering agent and should be avoided. Look for these words and do not use: Amonium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Xylene Sulfonate, TEA Dodecylbenzene etc.
- Never apply conditioner at your roots or near the tape. Apply through the mid length and ends only. Thoroughly rinse conditioner out to prevent your extensions from slipping/falling out. Silicone and gloss products should also used through ends only and be avoided at the roots. Alcohol based styling products can cause the hair to dry out and should be avoided
- Tape extensions should be applied by a qualified hairdresser whom has completed Blakk training.
- Blakk extensions are not to be coloured. Maintenance colouring between appointments should only be applied to your natural hair by a qualified hairdresser and never to extensions. Where possible hair should only be coloured between retaping appointments. NEVER lighten or bleach the extensions are it will cause immediate irrepairable damage.
- Blakk Tape extensions can re-taped and reused 1-2 times depending on your maintenance. We suggest retaping after 4 to 6 weeks.
- When washing hair ensure that you only use gentle motions, no heavy circular motions.
- Squeeze excessive water from hair in a downward motion with a towel. Do not rub in circular motions. Do not allow hair to dry naturally.
- Always blow-dry straight.
- Never sleep with wet or damp hair. Always sleep with hair in a plait or bun. If hair mattes their will be no option except for the extensions to
- be taken out.
- Brush hair twice a day. Hold roots of you hair with one hand and brush with Blakk brush. Ensure you do not use a brush that has loops on the
- ends of the bristles.
- Should any knotting start to form at the base of the neck please inform the salon at your earliest convenience. Prolonged neglect will cause matting. This issue can be caused by incorrect product usage, lack of brushing or over crowding of extensions.
- Do not apply heat from straighteners, hairdryers or styling tools on the tape part of the extension. This may make them difficult to remove and cause stress on the hair when taking them out.
- If you are pregnant, breast feeding, menopausal, on medication or are experiencing unusual hormonal changes this must be mentioned to your hairdresser prior to application. In many cases hair extensions will not be recommended and/or permission from a doctor is advised.
- If you swim regularly, extensions are not recommended for you unless you wear a swimming cap to protect your
extensions. Salty and chlorinated water will dry out the hair and cause it to knot. Please consider this before holidaying in tropical destinations.
- Extensions are not recommended if you have curly hair unless you are prepared to wash, blow-dry and straighten your hair ALWAYS after washing. Hair must be kept straight to prevent rubbing and causing tangles. Hair should be brushed much more often then clients with straight hair.
- No permanent straightening, perming or any additional chemical service can be performed on extensions